FAQ: How can I stop my property from going unclaimed?
Here are 10 things you can do to avoid having your property going unclaimed:
1. Update addresses with insurance companies, investor relations and utility providers.
2. Cash all refund, rebate and dividend checks.
3. Respond to stock shareholder service requests for action.
4. Resolve insurance claims in full.
5. Identify co-owners or beneficiaries of financial and investment accounts.
6. Automatic withdrawal for safe deposit box rental fees.
7. Purchase cashier’s checks and money order at finacial institutions where you have accounts.
8. Use store or vendor credits within 1 year.
9. Update financial/investment accounts following marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or name change.
10. Inventory type/location of financial assets and provide to trusted advisor/friend.