FAQ: How much unclaimed property is there, and why is the state involved?
Every year, millions of dollars in bank accounts, stocks, mutual funds and un-cashed checks are turned over to the State Treasurer because the owners can’t be found. Intangible financial assets such as stock certificates and bonds are reported to the State Treasury as well.
The reason the State of WI is involved is for ease of conveyance. Having the WI State Treasurer’s Office serve as custodian for all of the unclaimed property allows the rightful owners only one place they have to search for their unclaimed property.
Have you searched for your missing money? It really is Money for Nothing!
- FAQ: What does the State do to find unclaimed property owners? (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- FAQ: What is “Unclaimed Property” (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- Nearly $40 Million Turned Over to State Treasury (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- Unpaid Insurance Claims Could Flood Unclaimed Property Coffers (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- FAQ: I sent my claim form in quite a while ago. Why haven’t I received anything yet? (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)