FAQ: What happens to unclaimed property if the owner can’t be located?
Unclaimed property is held by the The State of Wisconsin indefinitely, which means there is no time limit to claim your funds. Until such time as someone comes forward to claim their property the WI State Treasurer will act as custodian for the funds.
This is why we remind people to search for relatives, under maiden names, etc. You should also look every year since we get new listings every year – tens of million of more dollars in assets!
- FAQ: What does the State do to find unclaimed property owners? (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- FAQ: What is “Unclaimed Property” (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- Nearly $40 Million Turned Over to State Treasury (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- Unpaid Insurance Claims Could Flood Unclaimed Property Coffers (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)
- FAQ: I sent my claim form in quite a while ago. Why haven’t I received anything yet? (wistatetreasury.wordpress.com)