The happenings "inside" the Wisconsin State Treasury and across the street at the State Capitol

Archive for June, 2012

FAQ: Who is the “Claimant” and does every heir have to submit all of the documents?

On the claim form under “Claimant” simply identify who the person is who is claiming the money. This could be for yourself or as an heir to the property to the owner who is listed on the claim form in “Box 4”.

Does every heir have to submit all of the documents?

No. Just as long as one heir submits (1) the will or Declaration of Heirship and (2) a death certificate, the others heirs are not obligated to submit documents themselves. To more efficiently process your claim please make note of which heir submitted the documents.

NOTE: Each heir will be required to provide a birth certificate, driver’s license, proof of social security number and proof of current residence. 


FAQ: What happens to my EdVest account if I move out of state?

If you have already or you’re planning to move out of state, don’t worry about your EdVest account. Your EdVest account will continue to be under your control, you can still contribute to it, and the money will stilll be available when the beneficiary needs it.

Note: If you move out of Wisconsin some of the state tax benefits may no longer be available if you are no longer filing Wisconsin state income taxes. So if you pay state income taxes in a state other than Wisconsin, please contact your state plan and/or your tax advisor for more information.

The Economy & You #39: Who’s Been Working?

I recently came across a very interesting visual blog from General Electric (GE) that provides a visual representation of who has been working in the U.S. over the last 50 years. Users are able to visually track how many people have been working by age, gender, or business sector from 1960 to 2011.

Treasurer’s Top 5: Marathon County

The barn Marathon County, Wisconsin fairground...

The barn Marathon County, Wisconsin fairgrounds in Wausau, Wisconsin, United States. The building is used for exhibitions. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. (Photo credit: Wikipedia)

Good morning Marathon County! Here are the Top 5 people in your county with unclaimed money at the State Treasurer’s Office. Let them know if you know them or their heirs. They can search their names and make a claim at or call 855-375-CASH (2274)

Marathon County

Michael and Alejandra Hiebl

Arvid and Betty Johnson

Earl and Laura Heck

Francis Moench

John Backus

FAQ: What do the terms “Due Diligence”, “Aggregate Amount” and “Escheat Period” mean?

“Due Diligence” is the requisite amount of effort a Holder of abandoned property must use to find the rightful owner of property before the property is given over to the State.

The term “Aggregate Amount” is in reference to the amount that the Holder does not need to perform due diligence on and attempt to contact the owner prior to reporting funds as unclaimed property. The aggregate amount in Wisconsin is $50.

The term “Escheat Period” is the period of time required by applicable state law that must elapse before the property is presumed to be abandoned and escheated to the state.  The “escheat period” can also be referred to as the “holding period” or “dormancy period.”

Trivia Time!

It’s Trivia Time! Submit your answers by 7pm today – a winner will be drawn from all the correct answers!
When making a claim, we accept old utility bills as a proof of residence.
a) True
b) False

You must answer by posting on our Facebook Wall – click here to go there!