|Category: Unclaimed Property HOW CAN I AVOID HAVING UNCLAIMED PROPERTY?
Here are ten ways to ensure that your property is not turned over to our office:
1. Make sure that you update addresses with insurance companies, investor relations and utility providers.
2. Promptly cash all refund, rebate and dividend checks.
3. Respond to stock shareholder service requests for action.
4. Resolve insurance claims in full.
5. Identify co-owners or beneficiaries of financial and investment accounts.
6. Automaticwithdrawal for safe deposit box rental fees.
7. Purchase cashier’s checks and money order at finacial institutions where you have accounts.
8. Use store or vendor credits within 1 year.
9. Update financial/investment accounts following marriage, divorce, death of a spouse or name change.
10. Inventory type/location of financial assets and provide to trusted advisor/friend.